+1
Answered

Notifier Feature Request Ideas

Allie Peters 5 years ago updated by Christine Masters 5 years ago 2

1. Is there a way to trigger repeat notifications on the same asset? This is a fairly big deal, as breaking news stories are constantly updated as more details are available. The same story could be sent out 3 or 4 times.

2. Is there a way to define custom Facebook preview text? Currently, it seems Notifier grabs the story lede. Could, perhaps, the ‘Summary’ area on an article asset to define custom preview text? Of course, if no Summary text exists, it could default back to the story lede.

3. I’ve attached two images – one shows a Twitter post via Zapier/Buffer; one shows a Twitter post via Blox Notifier. You’ll notice some repetition with the lead text, as it’s also in the story link preview. Ideally, we would like tweets could be structured more like the Buffer version that is a photo post. That means: Structured as a photo post (<Raw Enclosure @URL> element) Text (<Title> <Raw Link>)

Image 476 Image 475

Answer

Answer
    Answered

Hi Allie!

I'll go through each item step by step:

1. Currently, you can re-notify a message by just posting an additional manual message. You can do this ahead of time (one post today, one post tomorrow) or when needed for breaking news. The automatic trigger will not re-trigger (which is good, because you wouldn't want that) - but if you create a new message for breaking news, it will re-post it.

2. To define a custom Facebook message, you can type the message in the notifier message area. I believe that it will also use the Summary text as well.

However, you may be talking about the summary that is in the news "card" area on Facebook, which is scraped from the page itself. See my docs here:

https://help.bloxcms.com/knowledge-base/applications/community/notifier/faq/article_db2ff260-4459-11e9-ba60-7f6bf49bde64.html

3. What you're describing here is the "Twitter card" layout, which is specified on the page that is scraped by Twitter. For the example you have there, Butter is overriding the card type through their API.

Usually, this is something we have by default as part of Flex templates. We have built-in logic that will specify a large photo in most circumstances. For some reason, this isn't showing on pantagraph. If you could submit a CRM ticket to see if there is something custom on this site or why the Twitter card logic isn't displaying for you.

Let me know if you have more questions!

Answer
    Answered

Hi Allie!

I'll go through each item step by step:

1. Currently, you can re-notify a message by just posting an additional manual message. You can do this ahead of time (one post today, one post tomorrow) or when needed for breaking news. The automatic trigger will not re-trigger (which is good, because you wouldn't want that) - but if you create a new message for breaking news, it will re-post it.

2. To define a custom Facebook message, you can type the message in the notifier message area. I believe that it will also use the Summary text as well.

However, you may be talking about the summary that is in the news "card" area on Facebook, which is scraped from the page itself. See my docs here:

https://help.bloxcms.com/knowledge-base/applications/community/notifier/faq/article_db2ff260-4459-11e9-ba60-7f6bf49bde64.html

3. What you're describing here is the "Twitter card" layout, which is specified on the page that is scraped by Twitter. For the example you have there, Butter is overriding the card type through their API.

Usually, this is something we have by default as part of Flex templates. We have built-in logic that will specify a large photo in most circumstances. For some reason, this isn't showing on pantagraph. If you could submit a CRM ticket to see if there is something custom on this site or why the Twitter card logic isn't displaying for you.

Let me know if you have more questions!

As a follow up to this question, regarding the "large image" display on Twitter cards, we require that you set up the Twitter username field in the URL properties -> Meta data properties before we add the Twitter card data to your site.

Once you fill out that field, you'll get meta data on your articles like this:

meta name="twitter:card" content="summary_large_image" /
    meta name="twitter:site" content="@pantagraph" /
    meta name="twitter:image:alt" content="Bomb Cyclone Colorado" /

That summary_large_image is what determines the "large" display that is mentioned in Allie's original post.

So, as long as you add that username, the large image card will be default.

Here is the help doc that talks about this: https://help.bloxcms.com/knowledge-base/integrations/social-media/twitter/article_36e82a6e-6f66-11e4-949f-a75641b24dfe.html