+1
Under review

Blox Commenting system

Thomas Martinez 6 years ago in BLOX CMS updated by Kevin M. Cox 5 years ago 6

I know this has been asked in a similar post a couple of years ago, but ....

We just switched to Blox commenting from Facebook. A lot of commenters immediately complained they didn't have the ability to edit their own comments. Most other major commenting platforms have the ability for users to edit their own comments.

Do you all think this would a useful change for TownNews to make?

Thanks,

Thomas

I'd like to see the ability to edit within a limiting time frame, such as five minutes. This allows users to fix typos without trying to sneak back and change context later.

+1
Under review

I do have a feature request in for this, I'd be interested to hear what you think. Here is my request so far:

Details

We should offer the ability for end users to edit or delete their own comments.

Edit Comments

There would be an "edit" button under the comment. Clicking on it would turn the comment area into an editable text box. The user would be able to edit or change their comment and click submit.

Then, after the comment goes through, they would have an note that says, "Modified by Christine Masters at 2:12 AM on June 6, 2018."

The changed/corrected comment should go through approval if the site has pre-approval turned on.

The changed/corrected comment should go through spam detection.

Delete Comments

There would be a "delete" button under the comment. If the user clicks on it, it says, "Are you sure your wish to delete this comment?" And if they say OK, it is deleted.

Instead of showing the comment, it would have a note that says, "This comment was deleted by Christine Masters at 2:34 AM on June 6, 2018."

It should remain in "deleted" state in the BLOX admin.

I like the idea of only allowing them to comment for a short period of time, though. I could add that to it...

What are your thoughts?

+1

There obviously won't be a one-size-fits-all solution so configurability will be key.

I like what you've laid out as far as the text left behind.

The thinking behind the limited time to edit (and/or delete) is to prevent someone from changing the context of their comments later. We also want to hold people accountable. We require "real names" on commenting and have a long standing policy of not removing comments that users make.

Not being able to fix typos is a complaint we get often, but we also don't want to allow people to make inflammatory comments and cover their tracks later. Knowing that if you post it there is no going back helps keep a level of decorum in the comments.

I think this great news. I agree with you on how you outline the process above. I also like the idea of a delete button.

I also like Kevin's idea of limiting the time they have to edit their own post, but I think they should have longer than 5 minutes.

How would you handle guest comments (if enabled) versus accounts? Would guests be allowed to edit or delete?

+1

Bumping this back up since I have readers complaining about not being able to fix typos again this morning. Any progress Christine?