Allow pre-roll ads on video assets to display when asset is embedded in story.

Brad Boner 5 years ago in BLOX Total CMS updated 5 years ago 4

This seems like a no-brainer, but currently pre-roll ads in video assets only play when the video is viewed in the video asset itself. When a video is embedded in a story, such as a long-form article asset, the pre-roll ad does not play. Example can be found here:

Pre-roll ad plays in video asset: https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/multimedia/jhn_g_videos/video_a0761ba8-46ca-54a1-97e9-6285ea337178.html

Pre-roll ad does not display when video is embedded in a story: https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/valley/feature/article_1561a181-d971-50c0-8ce4-3c2833c348af.html

The value of video assets to potential advertisers is obviously diminished when we cannot show their ad before videos that are embedded in stories. This is an update that needs to be addressed ASAP.

PS — While you're at it, please allow a video asset's Description and Byline fields to display with video assets when embedded in article assets, similar to how they display when image assets are embedded into articles.

Brad, I'm checking with Templates to find out if this is expected behavior or not. More details to come.

Hi, Joe. This is indeed expected behavior, per ticket #708214. The reply I received read, in part:

"Prerolled video assets only display in the selected video blocks, and on the video asset page itself. They do not work on inline video assets since the video is not in a block or on the video asset page."

This is why I am now posting this as a features request here.

Brad, I did some research on this and it is a configuration issue between most of your site and the multimedia page. The working 'multimedia' section is configured to use blox ad manager's default vast feed, while the rest of the site is configured to use DFP. Please submit a support ticket, you can reference the research ticket I submitted (#724371), to have this corrected.

Thanks, Joe. I updated support ticket #708214 with your reply.