Completed

Exclude ads in specific articles

mamundson 5 years ago in BLOX CMS updated by Troy Sporcic 5 years ago 5

We have a local business news page, where we have articles on the latest business news in our and surrounding communities. A recent article announced the addition of a 3rd dentist to a practice (who is also a big client of ours). A competitors ad was showing up in this article. The ad was an ROS position. The dental practice asked us to remove the ad from their article, and threatened pulling advertising. Without moving the position of the ad, there is no current way to exclude them from the article.

We would love for the option to exclude specific ads in articles. This would solve the problem when a competitors ad shows up in an article. We risk losing annual money from either business if they do show up on the same page. This option would be used periodically when we encounter situations like this, but is invaluable.

Answer

Answer
Completed

Just to update this, there is no way to exclude ads based on keywords in the Blox Ad Manager, nor will that be supported. Your best option to do this is to move to Google Ad Manager.

Under review

It would be possible to do this with keywords on the article and a keyword filter in Google Ad Manager, but you'd have to carefully coordinate that between editorial and whoever is booking the ads. You'll also need to be using Google Ad Manager for this. You could submit a customer service ticket to our Ad Ops team for more information on how you could do this.

We currently do not have Google Ad Manager.  

I'm investigating if there is an existing way to do this with Blox Ad Manager. There is a help article that is basically the opposite of what you are wanting: https://help.bloxcms.com/knowledge-base/applications/marketplace/banner_ads/faq/article_1e0be62c-2bed-11e5-9138-f79b54ba56d3.html. I'll update when I learn more about what's happening under the hood.

In the meantime, I highly recommend exploring moving to Google Ad Manager, as it offers a much greater degree of control and behavior than our ad manager. Our Ad Ops team is available to help guide you through the conversion.

Answer
Completed

Just to update this, there is no way to exclude ads based on keywords in the Blox Ad Manager, nor will that be supported. Your best option to do this is to move to Google Ad Manager.

What you can do is make a sub section of business for the client in bloxcms. Then disable the ads at the sub section you created in page customization's then assign their article to it then no ads.  you can then add it to the main business section as well as the second category in the asset so the one you created is first.  done it a few times even though we have DFP.  Should get you by for now.