+3
Under review

scrolling ticker for quick news flash reporting

Ricky 3 years ago in BLOX Total CMS updated 3 years ago 12

Give us a scrolling blox that we can do quick post of short term information without having to put together a complete story asset. This would solve the issue of posting just a quick short news flash that would require a user to click to view a short news brief.
Examples would be:
UN-planned road closings due to water main breaks, accidents, down trees.
School closings.
Breaking news stories with more detailed information to come.
Live sports updates (mostly local high schools).
Live weather updates for road closings.
Fugitive and/or jail breaks.

The Breaking News and Weather Alert blox use to have a scroll feature but it has since been removed and replaced with a story title scroll with limited character spaces.

I really like this idea.   We'd be using this too.

Would be great to be able to assign different blocks to different pages.  i.e. Sports, Weather, News, Traffic, etc.

Perhaps a choice of an icon (alert, video, weather) fixed on either side.

Would also be nice to have a limit on text (truncation) and ability to include links.

So how would it work? Is it a new type of asset? Or is it a block that only scrolls the headline from an Article asset and doesn't link through to the article page?

It potentially could be both.  But I think just a new BLOCK would work.  That way, you could use the query to scroll more than one headline if necessary.   The block could have options to display a related image (similar to the breaking news block) and an option to link to the sourc article (or not).

it would work similar to the scrolling lower 3rd on news channels like FOX, CNN, Newsmax, etc....

No, I mean on the backend. How do you envision feeding the scroll?

+1

Kevin M. Cox

Using current method of adding assets, you can just place text in title field. No copy would be necessary because this is for quick short limited time information. The asset would then have a flag id of "Ticker" to let blox know which assets to include. No image or link to article. Just quick to the point information. Example would be:

"Court house is closed due to plumbing until tomorrow."....... "Accident on highway 22 has road closed"...... Covid shots are being given at Health Department until 4:00 p.m. today.

Each asset would be set to delete at a set time.

Yep.. I need a scrolling text area. For short term information. Most open source  HTML codes available to make this happen need CSS to make them work. The CSS is not editable in the static or utility blocks. JS was also a thought but again adding scripts to the head isn't available to edit either. 

Under review

Hi folks, just wanted to chime in. This is one of those types of general requests that would come to me in my new role and I'd build it custom for your site. Then if it was popular enough, it might be promoted into core. I'm also happy to work with anyone who would like to learn how to build something like this for their own site, because that is also something you can do.

--Wade, specifically, if you are comfortable with HTML/CSS/JS, you can get what is called UTL/Template access for your site and have complete access to customization.

However, I'm looking through all the requirements here and it's pretty much just a standard "old" ticker that used to be everywhere, then went away with new "modern" ui.

I'm going to put this on my list of play projects, when I have something to show for feedback I'll post a link for folks to comment on.

Joe Hansen

TownNews Solutions Support Engineer

Awesome.. I created a block for html assets then created a old school marquee asset and it works. I guess when needed I will simply update that asset with the new text.

I agree with the others though. A simple scroll block would be handy. Weather is getting bad here today and I wanted to update the site with current noaa watches and warnings. 

Folks, just another quick question since we've been discussing this internally. Does the breaking news block at the top of this page fill the need well enough?

https://www.flex-showcase.bloxcms.com/

It's not the old school marque effect, but it slides nicely from asset to asset.

Joe Hansen

TownNews Solutions Support Engineer

+1

The breaking news we use for complete stories. The Marque blox would be for quick multiple on line information items without having to click to open a story.

We use the breaking news block for breaking news. It doesn't stay up long.Maybe 24/36 hours. I manage that block and treat it as literally breaking news. That story then falls into my top story block, then if something else develops around the story that warrants "breaking news" again we put it back up. Only once was there actually two stories in that breaking news block. I use the scrolling text marquee for crime stoppers of the week, Or, currently, as a reminder for subscribers to log in. Since we put the paywall back up. 

Scrolling text html.txt

If you are a subscriber, please sign in to access the site. Log in at the top right of the web page.

Please log in Top right of webpage Or click here .

#Everyone - Feel free to use this code and drop it in a html block. lol. it works here, until I saved the post, so I attached the txt file