+1

Would be nice for InDesign/template stylings to not affect the byline & taglines style on web

Nick 9 years ago in BLOX Total CMS updated by Kevin M. Cox 8 years ago 3

For example, the tagline in TCMS(before it hits the page) is:

Reporter John Smith writes about education and other local topics. Contact him at name@foofoo.com, on Facebook or at 555-1234.

And the byline is:
By JOHN SMITH
The Brunswick News

But when it is placed on the page the template styling/snippets alter that to fit on multiple lines. So when it hits web it looks like...

Reporter John

Smith

writes about education and other local topics. Contact him at name@foofoo.com, on Facebook or at 555-1234.

And the byline looks like:

By JOHN SMITH The Brunswick News

So something in the design templates is overwriting what's in the asset. I understand why from a page layout standpoint. But this doesn't make sense from a web standpoint. It should allow the template to edit the design on the printed page but leave the web version unaltered.

Basically, the bylines and taglines should look the same online as they do in the users' accounts. The InDesign templates shouldn't alter this.

You're right Nick, I think we're kinda on the same page here in relation to my open post.

I haven't noticed any problems with taglines yet, but maybe we just haven't gotten that far yet.

+1

Bumping this to see if there's any more interest. I think this is a no-brainer feature. BLOXCMS should be able to style bylines and not have TCMS affect those at all. Styling in print and online are two totally different worlds.

We just had a major redesign of our paper, which means different snippets, styles etc. All of that completely messes up the bylines when it hits the website. So we have to tinker and tinker until we make sure the inDesign styles work for print and online.

Without a doubt we want the byline issue fixed.

For whatever reason the BLOX byline box doesn't honor line breaks so we end up with:

Kevin M. Cox The Daily News

instead of:

Kevin M.Cox

The Daily News