+3
Under review

Create a 5-star review application for restaurants and businesses to attach to article assets

Steven Mazzacane 11 years ago in BLOX CMS updated 6 years ago 6

Sounds like an interesting idea. Can you flesh out how you envision this feature working?

Just like Yelp, one can click the amount of "stars" it wants to give a restaurant. It can take place 2 ways: one application can allow the author to do it, like the New York Times. another application can be to allow users to do it almost like a poll application, and the data is aggregated as more readers vote.
Hi Steven,

We have the software capability to build a "like" button (just for BLOX though; this is separate from Facebook and could be presented much differently) that could be used in a similar way. Users would be able to "vote" on their favorite businesses, and we would be able to provide a count of how many likes a business got, and a block to show businesses by count, and so forth. (Much like this site!)

There are some schools of thought that a single increment button is more "positive" because you can only vote up the business... rather than providing a one-star rating which can be very negative.

What do you think? Could something like that be an option, or do you feel stars are required?
+1

This would be an awesome feature. 

I like the five star system. I understand it could spin negatively for a given event / business, but maybe there could be a "rating-reset" feature that costs a few bucks? Kind of like how Yelp lets restaurants remove bad reviews, it just costs them some money? Allowing users to search / sort by "ranking" would make the business directory and calendar (even editorial) feel much more intuitive from their perspective. Plus, that's pretty much how every other searchable directory works... I know this thread is five years old but even Facebook has a 5.0 rating system now. 

I've wondered if the code for the "emoji" system in editorial assets could be repurposed for this? 

+2

wow, forgot about this feed. yes, i think its still a good idea.