Answered

Trying to understand ad impression limits in relation to the ad's end date

Nick 9 years ago in BLOX CMS updated 9 years ago 5

We have our first ad that's set for a limited number of impressions instead of a date range. The date of the event the ad is for(which I set as the absolute end date) is approaching quickly but the impression limit hasn't been met. But it isn't showing online anymore today. I did some research on help.bloxcms.com and I see that it's spreading it over the course of the ad's start and stop date. I don't want it to do that.

I see this on the help site: "If the scheduled run dates for the ad are MORE THAN 2 years, the Total impression limit will be a simple, hard limit from the start date of the ad."

So does that mean if I set it to end on Jan 1, 2038 it will just run through the impressions as quickly as it can display the ad rather than spreading the impressions? Because that's what I want.

Answer

Answer
Answered

1. If you remove the end date and leave the monthly impression limit, the ad will serve out the impressions as soon as possible (given weighting and rotation of other ads).
  2. If you remove the impression limit and leave the end date, it will serve the maximum number of impressions possible during that time (given weighting and rotation of other ads), and will end at that time regardless of impressions.
  3. If you have a DAILY impression limit, it also will not try to average the impressions over the month.

The combination of the two limitations (end date and impression limit) tells Ad Manager that you want to spread the impressions over that time as best you can.

So, I would remove the impression limit, keep the end date, and make sure it is the only add (or at least weighted really high in the rotation).

GOOD, I'M SATISFIED
Satisfaction mark by Nick 9 years ago

Hi Nick,

I'm checking with our programming staff to make sure I answer this correctly, but yeah, as a preliminary answer, if you remove the impression limit, it will serve as many impressions as it can (given rotation with other ads, weighting, or other limitations) until its end date.

But what if I want it to reach the number of impressions as quickly as possible and not spread the impressions around day by day until the end date? For example if I set it to 5 impressions(for simplicity sake) and want it to reach the impression limit as soon as possible it will be over in about 10 seconds. But it seems like BLOX wants to stretch the impressions out so if I set the end date to five days it will only show one impression each day. Is that right? And if so, how do I get it to for the impressions as quickly as it can deliver them?

Answer
Answered

1. If you remove the end date and leave the monthly impression limit, the ad will serve out the impressions as soon as possible (given weighting and rotation of other ads).
  2. If you remove the impression limit and leave the end date, it will serve the maximum number of impressions possible during that time (given weighting and rotation of other ads), and will end at that time regardless of impressions.
  3. If you have a DAILY impression limit, it also will not try to average the impressions over the month.

The combination of the two limitations (end date and impression limit) tells Ad Manager that you want to spread the impressions over that time as best you can.

So, I would remove the impression limit, keep the end date, and make sure it is the only add (or at least weighted really high in the rotation).

Thanks! That answered my question!