Under review

subscription_bypass > true is not applying to mobile site.

Jeff Sebestyen 10 years ago in BLOX CMS updated by Christine Masters 10 years ago 3
We have instant paywall.  I have applied subscription_bypass to a story.  But when I visit the story on a phone, it is still locked up on the mobile site.

Desktop: http://www.tdtnews.com/news/article_d447d8a6-6960-11e4-ae5b-5f6396a12010.html

Mobile:  http://m.tdtnews.com/news/article_d447d8a6-6960-11e4-ae5b-5f6396a12010.html?mode=jqm
Ticket number 562323...

I would have thought an issue like this would have been a system wide fix not a tweak to each customer's templates as they encounter the issue (edited to remove phone numbers)

Mike Stickler
2014-07-08 10:52:45
Everything tested ok ... paywall works where it should and is bypassed where it should be... Tested on desktop and touch5. Closing ticket.
Spiro Dokolas
2014-07-08 10:27:24
Mike -

Good morning, please let us know. Thanks.
--
Spiro Dokolas
TownNews.com

Mike Stickler
2014-07-07 14:18:38
Ashley, I've looked at articles with and without the bypass set and each seem to be behaving properly on my android phone and tablet. I've asked another staff member to look at them on his ipad and as soon as I get the ok there I will close the ticket.
Ashley Burroughs
2014-07-07 11:16:42
Hi Mike,

Everything is looking good.
I used the story http://www.messenger-inquirer.com/news/local/campers-are-ready-to-romp/article_bc82b9a9-9c71-5995-a0fb-9749dedd297b.html to test things.

The story is view-able on desktop and touch 5, while other stores are hidden behind the paywall.

I apologize again for any inconvenience.

Please give me a call if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Ashley Burroughs
Customer Support
Town News

Mike Stickler
2014-07-03 16:59:05
Please go to our site on a mobile device and do a search on "ROMP"

"the people of ROMP" subscription_bypass=true
"ROMP crowd likely topped 20,000" subscription_bypass=true
"Stellar lineup, atmosphere lead to ROMPing good time" subscription_bypass=true

We are still back where we began. Paywall is in place on touch5 but subscription bypass is not working...

The articles listed above are accessible on www.messenger-inquirer.com without login or subscription

However they are not accessible on touch 5.
Ashley Burroughs
2014-07-03 16:17:22
Hi Mike,

Programmers found the fix and touch 5 is back on paywall.

Please let me know if you are still experiencing any issues.

Ashley Burroughs
Customer Support
Town News

Mike Stickler
2014-07-03 09:31:17
Good morning Ashley/ Jamie/ Darin.
As of 9:23am I see we are back where we began.

The paywall is working on touch5 but the subscription bypass is not...

Title of an article with subscription bypass "Campers are ready to ROMP"
Ashley Burroughs
2014-07-02 16:25:30
Hi Mike,

I have sent this issue back up for review.

We will have an update for you as soon as one is available.

Ashley Burroughs
Customer Support
Town News

Mike Stickler
2014-07-02 16:09:48
Articles with subscription_bypass are now free. Thank You.

Articles without subscription_bypass are also now free on touch 5... We have no paywall at the moment for mobile users.
Darin Robertson
2014-07-02 15:57:06
Mike,
This has been fixed on your site.

Darin Robertson
Townnews

Darin Robertson
2014-07-02 09:22:04
Mike,
I have escalated this issue.

Darin Robertson
Townnews

Mike Stickler
2014-07-02 08:38:14
http://www.messenger-inquirer.com/news/local/campers-are-ready-to-romp/article_bc82b9a9-9c71-5995-a0fb-9749dedd297b.html
Darin Robertson
2014-07-02 08:30:23
Mike,
Please provide an article example so I can investigate further.

Darin Robertson
Townnews

Mike Stickler
2014-06-30 16:44:37
We had a series of articles we wanted in our regular news sections but wanted to be free... We set the subscription_bypass custom property to true for these articles and they displayed correctly in the pc browser if no user was logged in or a logged in user didn't have a subscription.

However when the event staff pulled the articles up on their tablets, the touch 5 version of the articles displayed the preview and then the Activate or subscribe buttons.

this is not good as the event was an advertiser and part of the contract was that the articles related to the event would not be behind the paywall.
I should have done more testing.  This all started when I shared a story on Facebook for iOS.  The link opens in a facebook browser and the article still asks you to sign in.  If I open the article in Safari, it is does bypass the paywall fine.  For some reason the "facebook browser" does not bypass the paywall.  [the image attached is what it looks like when you open the link from facebook].  Its ok, I don't really car anymore; I was just trying to share a story relevant to a friend.  I thought maybe mobile_adv needed a special custom property.  I'm satisfied with the answers.  

Under review
We are doing a "core" update to fix this (subscription_bypass on Touch 5) in our next template release. Sometimes we will customize templates temporarily on a site to fix an issue in a shorter time frame if we have the fix ready. It's a nice way to be able to fix issues that customers care about while also maintaining our release cycles.