Under review

Two lines in Byline area

Kevin M. Cox 9 years ago in BLOX CMS updated by Nick 9 years ago 8
Is there a way to have the Byline area display as two lines on the front-end of the site?

The field in BLOX obviously allows multiple lines to be entered, however it "compresses" them into a single line on the public side of the site as seen here:
http://www.galvnews.com/opinion/editorials/free/article_3c505918-ef95-11e4-9cee-ebb2d7e87422.html

Please let me know if there is a way to do this already or if not consider it as a feature request.

Thanks

I've always just used the HTML code for a line break, without any issues that I can tell.

By Author Name<br />Newspaper, for instance.
Thanks Kyle. Unfortunately trying to get our staff to remember code like that isn't going to happen.

The problem to me is a UI consistency issue. The field is a mutli-line text field that allows a user to enter hard returns, but then doesn't display them on the front end how they look on the back end.

This is confusing to users since the Body Copy field below it does behave consistently. If the Byline field is only intended to be a single line the UI should be changed to be a single line just like the headline one above it.

Bumping this back up. Now that we've switched to TotalCMS (and thus have the second line in every single byline) this issue has become very apparent to everyone.

So in response to Ticket 591133 I'm going all formal here. Other users, please let me know if y'all would like to see this as well to avoid having to place the <br> code in your byline field.

I am requesting: "... the ability to display a new line when the enter key is pressed in the byline text area of editorial assets within the Blox Admin."

This should also apply to the E-Edition "river of news" as well.

1) What problem(s) does this idea solve?

Inconsistency of display between print and online; relates to both TotalCMS users and non-users. Also inconsistent behavior from what is displayed in the BLOX admin and what is displayed on the public site.

2) Why do you need this idea implemented? Provide as many problems or use cases as possible.

The Byline field in BLOX functions consistently in TotalCMS when placing bylines onto InDesign pages. However this same field does not function consistently when publishing articles online; replacing a line break with a single space. This creates a different look between our print and web products.

It would also reduce confusion and frustration between all users of BLOX who don't see their formatting translated exactly from the admin to the public site.

3) How often would you use this feature?

Every single article, every single day, 365 days per year.

4) How many people in your organization would use this feature?

Every single employee who creates Article Assets in BLOX.

This seems like something super simple to implement. I can't see any downsides to making the information typed into the back-end of the system display the same way on the front-end.

Thanks

Under review

Hey Kevin,

We met today to discuss this. We have some ideas - but it is a difficult thing to make sure we don't break existing sites (many of whom are using HTML in their bylines), while adding new functionality (rich text editor that accepts line returns) for the future.

I appreciate the update Christine and understand the issue of backwards compatibility. I assume that means you have some customers using HTML and line returns in their bylines right now?

I'm also interested in something similar. It has to do with what's in the authors' bylines and taglines hitting InDesign and then getting restyled based on the template styles/snippets. Then they don't look like they're supposed to online. I'm going to make a new post though, because I think it's a little bit different of an issue.