+2
Completed

Article Location Map

Jason Schaefer 11 years ago in BLOX CMS updated 10 years ago 5
The number of characters for the latitude and longitude need to be increased. Currently your system rounds the numbers to the nearest fifth decimal place.

Recently we had an issue with this as we were trying to display a map to the location where a train struck a pedestrian. When we input the longitude and latitude (with seven decimal places) and clicked the view button the preview showed the correct location. When we saved the article and previewed the resulting map was 8 streets from the railroad track.

In the same line of thought it might be useful to give us a way to override the default zoom level.

Answer

Answer
Planned
We are making a change in the 1.17.0 release of BLOX that will allow for higher precision latitude/longitude coordinates to be entered and stored. 
5 decimal places should be all that is required as this is accurate to within about 1 meter of the location (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7167604/how-accurately-should-i-store-latitude-and-longitude). That being said, I would open a support ticket with the article and coordinate data you are using that is having an issue so that we can further research what might be going on.
Hi Patrick,
I've submitted a ticket for a test article since we removed it from the real article. I had noticed that when I copied and pasted the seven decimal location it got truncated to five decimals which is why I originally posted this however since then I've also checked out the source for a test article with the same location and it pulls up coordinates that have 6 decimal places.  (and those coodinates are different from the first and second)
Answer
Planned
We are making a change in the 1.17.0 release of BLOX that will allow for higher precision latitude/longitude coordinates to be entered and stored.