+2
Under review

Calendar events with multiple times don't show details

Nick 9 years ago in BLOX CMS updated by Phil Pracht (Product Manager) 8 years ago 3

The BLOX calendar needs more details for events with multiple times/mini events that make up a bigger event. For instance the Elvis tribute artists are coming to our town this weekend. They have a bunch of events throughout the weekend. Here's what the back-end looks like...

Image 125

Each one of those times has a "Schedule name" with it because I assumed the schedule name would differentiate it on the front-end. Not so. Notice how it looks on the front-end.

Image 126

And the calendar widget block doesn't even display the times but I have no idea why. The ESL event and the conversational Spanish class show their times. And it isn't because Elvis doesn't have times. Just look at all of those times I filled in!

Image 128

I don't want to have to go in and create new mini-events when there's a big event like the Elvis Festival but as the system is now it seems like I would have to in order to get the front-end look I'm wanting.

So....

1. Is there any way TownNews can have "Schedule name" or a similar field display on the front-end?

2. Can we get the calendar widget block to show time details on ALL events?

All of that complaining aside I feel the need to sing the praises of TownNews for a minute. Y'all have an outstanding product and we love using BLOX. So in all of these posts that we flood community.townnews with I don't want your hard work and accomplishments to go unappreciated. What is SO great about TN is that I know y'all listen to our input and there's never a "We've arrived!" mentality. There's always work to be done and improvements to be made. So thanks guys! You make our jobs fun!

Answer

Answer

Thanks, Nick. I'm sure you've already considered this but you'd be sacrificing the ability to edit each event. For instance, the "Opening Ceremony" may have information particular to that event - guest speakers, acts/lineup, prices, ticket links, 18 and Over flag - all of which would then have to be included in the body of the single event. The "Gospel Concert" may be a 21+ event.

For a weekend-long event consisting of several different schedules and details you can imagine that single event could get awfully long.

Under review

Hi Nick,

That 'Schedule name' in the event editor doesn't currently correlate to the frontend. It's meant purely for admin purposes at this time. Are you envisioning the "Schedule name" to arrange and display events based on the schedule name, then by event start-time?

I'll get a ticket started for your 2nd request. That block should certainly display details for all events. Keep an eye out for template release notes.

Phil

For the "Schedule name" I'll give you an example of the Elvis festival we had last weekend. It was an all-weekend event with lots of different concerts and schedules. I would like the "Schedule name" to display sort of like a subtitle. So it would look like this:

So in the back-end there is only one "Elvis Festival" event but it has several schedules like "Opening Ceremony" and "Gospel Concert." The "Schedule name" would go after the event name. This would keep us from creating separate schedules for every. single. event.

Answer

Thanks, Nick. I'm sure you've already considered this but you'd be sacrificing the ability to edit each event. For instance, the "Opening Ceremony" may have information particular to that event - guest speakers, acts/lineup, prices, ticket links, 18 and Over flag - all of which would then have to be included in the body of the single event. The "Gospel Concert" may be a 21+ event.

For a weekend-long event consisting of several different schedules and details you can imagine that single event could get awfully long.