Anyone out there using WHIZ technologies for their app?

Lindy 9 years ago in BLOX CMS updated by Andrea 9 years ago 3

We are struggling with our RSS queries, because we use sort by priorities on our site - and would like our app to reflect much of the same. In applying the parameter to sort by 'priority', and then by date (for at least two day's worth, because we don't do a Sunday paper) it doesn't seem to be recognizing the stories with priorities set. Anyone have any expertise with search queries?

I feel your pain. Unfortunately, you are able to use only one type of sort from Blox to Whiz. The rest of the sort is random and cannot be controlled.

I have tried and tried to make it work by sorting by priority then time, but it simply can't work. I chose to go with a priority sort to ensure stories with photos appear at the top of our app.

Hope that helps!

Andrea, thanks for your reply! Can you share an example of the RSS link you used for your WHIZ feeds? I have not been able to get the 's=priority' to work at all - even in the simplest of strings.

Thanks!

Sure thing.

This is our app home page feed: http://www.herald-dispatch.com/search-whiz/?q=&t=article&l=30&d=today&s=priority&sd=desc&c[]=_zapp*&f=rss&fulltext=ourpassword

You can see the search here: http://www.herald-dispatch.com/search/?q=&t=article&l=31&d=today&s=priority&sd=desc&c[]=_zapp*

I don't know how long you have been on Blox, but if you want priority stories at the top, then you have to sort by REVERSE priority -- from highest priority (say, 3), down to null priority (blank).

If you make your top three stories priorities 1, 2 and 3, you cannot sort in a feed with 1 being the top story. Blox considers an empty priority as higher than a 1 priority. So your empty priority stories will appear at the top, then at the bottom would be priorities 1, 2 and 3.

Frustrating, yes. But, that's the best feed I could come up with to do what we want to do (which is to always ensure photos are at the top of our app home screen).