Answered

Force Facebook to use the default og_image instead of child image?

Kevin M. Cox 8 years ago in BLOX CMS updated 8 years ago 2

It is election season which means we are running a bunch of stories with multiple politician mugshots attached.

Someone pointed out that we may have a potential problem when Facebook displays only one of these on the article preview. As I’m sure you all know, somebody out there is going to take that as us favoring one candidate over the other.

Is there an easy way to prevent Facebook from pulling a child image in a case like this, or make it use the default logo instead?

Any thoughts anyone has are definitely appreciated.

Answer

Answer
Answered

I'm not sure if there is a way to do this in Facebook (usually the first person to share the page can choose the main image, but I'm not sure how long that will stay that way for subsequent shares).

We have a feature we're working on where you can upload a different image to be used for the preview, and it would be used for the Facebook og_image as well. So, that may help when that's available.

For now, I would say that lots of papers just make a combined image with the various candidates all represented, and then that single image would be used as the main image on the story (and thus also the og_image).

GOOD, I'M SATISFIED
Satisfaction mark by Kevin M. Cox 8 years ago
Answer
Answered

I'm not sure if there is a way to do this in Facebook (usually the first person to share the page can choose the main image, but I'm not sure how long that will stay that way for subsequent shares).

We have a feature we're working on where you can upload a different image to be used for the preview, and it would be used for the Facebook og_image as well. So, that may help when that's available.

For now, I would say that lots of papers just make a combined image with the various candidates all represented, and then that single image would be used as the main image on the story (and thus also the og_image).

Thanks Christine. The first option wouldn't work since we're using Social Broadcast to automate the posting.

The different preview image sounds like it would be the best option when it becomes available.

We're working on getting all of our mugshots entered into TCMS so they can be attached to articles as needed so combined mugs would break this workflow.