Answered

Google AMP: If we're getting ready to enable ... 1 question ...

Kyle Whitfield 8 years ago in BLOX CMS updated by Christine Masters 8 years ago 4

If we enable it and find out something unexpected that we don't like about it, how long does it take to disable. I know there's a disable function in BLOX. Just curious how long it takes from that point for AMP to actually stop. Thanks,

-- Kyle

Answer

+1
Answer
Answered

Hi Kyle!

Technically, Google AMP is enabled when the AMP link is included in your article documents. Adding this link is what BLOX CMS does for you when you enable AMP within our system. Google then scrapes the pages and hosts them on Google's superfast cache servers.

I can tell you that when you turn off Google AMP within BLOX CMS, we will stop including the Google AMP link as soon as the cache expires (5 - 10 mins).

So the question is how long it stays in Google's cache. It looks like they sort of address it here:

https://developers.google.com/amp/cache/update-ping

"Cached content that no longer exists will eventually get removed from the cache"

So I guess the answer is, eventually! =) I am not sure if there could be something TownNews.com could offer regarding the "update-ping" that is discussed there, I will ask our developers about that.

It sounds like you are just interested in experimenting with AMP. If so, I would point at that because it is enabled via a URL custom property, you could do it on one section as a test (say, sports or entertainment). Then you could track mobile page views for those sections and see how they track compared to previous sections, etc.

Hope this helps!

+1
Answer
Answered

Hi Kyle!

Technically, Google AMP is enabled when the AMP link is included in your article documents. Adding this link is what BLOX CMS does for you when you enable AMP within our system. Google then scrapes the pages and hosts them on Google's superfast cache servers.

I can tell you that when you turn off Google AMP within BLOX CMS, we will stop including the Google AMP link as soon as the cache expires (5 - 10 mins).

So the question is how long it stays in Google's cache. It looks like they sort of address it here:

https://developers.google.com/amp/cache/update-ping

"Cached content that no longer exists will eventually get removed from the cache"

So I guess the answer is, eventually! =) I am not sure if there could be something TownNews.com could offer regarding the "update-ping" that is discussed there, I will ask our developers about that.

It sounds like you are just interested in experimenting with AMP. If so, I would point at that because it is enabled via a URL custom property, you could do it on one section as a test (say, sports or entertainment). Then you could track mobile page views for those sections and see how they track compared to previous sections, etc.

Hope this helps!

For example, Christine, we wanted to try it for our LSU sports coverage, this is how we could activate AMP just for LSU content?