+1
Under review

Can I set CSV verification subscription to auto bind based on phone number?

Nick 8 years ago in BLOX CMS updated by Rich Griffin | Product Manager (Product Manager) 8 years ago 4

I see in the help site that to auto bind you have to set verification to email. The problem is that our circulation system doesn't have emails for all customers. We do have phone numbers for all customers though. Is there any way to allow auto bind based on phone numbers?

We're running into problems when someone's subscription lapses and their online does too. Then they have to go back in and sign up AGAIN. That's a cumbersome process and not one that people expect to have to make.

I would be very interested in this as well. It seems that most newspapers use phone number as the primary form of print authentication. Having the auto bind set to phone number would be huge for our customer service department.

CSV autobindiing behavior is always against email. The verification options for signup and login are separate from the autobinding. They do not have to be set on email for autobind to work.

I should have worded this differently then. I don't really mean verification. Basically what I want is this...

We have people who subscribe to our print edition. We have the CSV service set up to look for their phone number to give them online access when they input their phone number into our website. But if a subscriber's service lapses BLOX removes their online access. That's fine. But if they resubscribe they have to go through the process of inputting their phone number again.

From what I've read about a CSV service set to authenticate based on email when they drop off and are put back on the CSV file their service automatically restarts the online subscription without the user having to re-input their email. I want that but for phone numbers.

If I had it to do all over again I would just have subscribers contact us to give us an email address which we could have added to the circulation software. But we've got almost 400 active CSV subscribers now, so it would be too much of a hassle.

Under review

The reason that email was chosen for autobind is that it is required to be unique and is a required field per BLOX user account on user registration. Phone number is not required or unique. This would present problems in the process. I will however look into it further as we evaluate changes with the CSV service type functionality going forward.