Answered

Instructions for setting Defaults for users

hkemp 8 years ago in BLOX CMS updated by Christine Masters 8 years ago 2

Hi there - I would REALLY love to be able to set as "default" some boxes to be automatically checked under Flags and Sections. Being able to have these as defaults would save us SO much time and help with consistency. Would love some help!

Answer

Answer
Answered

Two quick things:

Lots of people currently do something by creating an example asset, set up the way you want, but with a start date in the future, and a "no publish" turned on. Then, when you want to create a new asset, you simply clone the example and all of the sections, flags, settings, etc. will come with it, and it will be "no publish" by default.

The annoying thing is that if you sort by start date, all of these dummy assets will show up at the top. You could create a saved search to get rid of them though (by filtering by date, or some other marker).

As a side note, we do have a roadmapped item in the queue for later this year to more officially "bless" this behavior. We would likely add a new flag to designate an asset as a "template" or "dummy" and then it would not be available with the standard search (either in the front end or the back end). A special property would allow you to search for these.

Then, when you wanted to create a new article, you'd click new -> template -> then choose from a popup of the existing starter templates.

Anyway, let me know what you think!

+1

Do you mean if someone only writes sports stories the system would auto fill in a "sports" section tag when that user creates an asset?

I've thought about this a lot but I'm a little hesitant to request it as a feature. I worry that someone would inevitably create an asset that doesn't match their usual beat and it would put it in the wrong section.

Answer
Answered

Two quick things:

Lots of people currently do something by creating an example asset, set up the way you want, but with a start date in the future, and a "no publish" turned on. Then, when you want to create a new asset, you simply clone the example and all of the sections, flags, settings, etc. will come with it, and it will be "no publish" by default.

The annoying thing is that if you sort by start date, all of these dummy assets will show up at the top. You could create a saved search to get rid of them though (by filtering by date, or some other marker).

As a side note, we do have a roadmapped item in the queue for later this year to more officially "bless" this behavior. We would likely add a new flag to designate an asset as a "template" or "dummy" and then it would not be available with the standard search (either in the front end or the back end). A special property would allow you to search for these.

Then, when you wanted to create a new article, you'd click new -> template -> then choose from a popup of the existing starter templates.

Anyway, let me know what you think!