+3
Planned

Feature request: Sort by "important update" timestamp

Erica Smith 8 years ago in BLOX Total CMS updated by Christine Masters 8 years ago 5

We have a block on the homepage and every section that pulls in a feed of headlines from new stories as they are posted. If a story is updated, reporters and editors can manually (based on our site settings) mark the update as "important." On the article, this shows the original publish time and when the story was updated. It's great.

But the "important" update doesn't recirculate the story through the "latest stories" column. I can pull stories by date and time (done) and by "update" time ... but that applies to any update to the story. Fixing a typo isn't "important." Adding three new paragraphs to a breaking news story is. So I'm interested in a sort rule that would pick up "important" update times.

1. What problem(s) does this idea solve? See above.

2. Why do you need this idea implemented? Provide as many problems or use cases as possible. Greater promotion of breaking news and updating stories. Otherwise, reporters change the start time of the story. That works, but isn't really a best practice.

3. How often would you use this feature? Daily. Hourly. Every time an important update is made.

4. How many people in your organization would use this feature? All of them. OK, all of the reporters (about 35) and digital staff (about 5) and section editors (about 7) and senior editors (3). So at least 50 people.

Erica, I've had this same feature request open for almost two years now...

http://community.townnews.com/topics/379-block-update-time-sorting-rule/

+1

That makes me sad. It's not surprising, but it's sad. #sigh

I agree, this is something that should have been implemented long ago.

We have to use stupid work-arounds like changing the Start Time if we want to force something back to the top which is not ideal for a host of reasons.

+1
Under review

Hi guys!

This does make sense and is definitely a good feature, especially when you're using "important" updates, which I personally highly recommend.

A few years ago we had discussed this feature internally, and it was a very high level of effort in terms of how the data was stored and what we would have to change in order to make this happen.

But, since a few years have passed and we have changed some of our internal structure, I think it would be good for me to ask again to see what the level of difficulty of this would be.

I will let you know! Thanks! =)

+1
Planned

Just FYI, I've increased the priority of this due to community feedback. Thanks for the ideas, I think this makes sense. =)