+1

Feature Idea: Block template queries by asset custom property

Michael Becker 7 years ago in BLOX CMS updated by Kevin M. Cox 7 years ago 3

Imagine this: You set up a block template for one of your URLs, but instead of just being able to query by start time, section, keyword tag, and such, you can query by asset custom properties.

It would be a text field option, where you'd type in the custom property and then have an optional second field for a value (with options for equals, less than, greater than, etc.). If you left the second field black, it would just test to see whether the custom property exists.

My specific use case (right now) would be our sports assets where we use custom properties to make a custom scoreboard appear with an asset. The block query would look to see whether any of the associated custom properties exist, and then I could make a block containing just assets that have scoreboard.

I'm sure you can all come up with many more uses.

What do you think?

Could you do this now by using a keyword? You could add a hidden keyword like #scoreboard to the articles you want to go into the block.

+1

Human error causes that to fail. Reporters remember to put in a scoreboard with the custom properties. It's important to the readers. However, they hardly ever remember the custom tags or keywords. I even created a section to hold the assets with scoreboards — but things are never filed to it, no matter how much you prod the staff.

Querying by custom property would help reduce that error and open up a world of possibilities with little overhead from the systems standpoint at TN.

Trust me, I understand that problem all to well.