+1
Under review

Feature request: Ability to add text overlay to parallax or full bleed images

Meagen Finnerty 7 years ago in BLOX CMS updated 7 years ago 10

I'm often using parallax photos to separate sections in a long story. With the new cover art ability to have the headline overlay, I was thinking that it would be really neat if we could put text on top of these parallax or full-bleed photos. We could put subheads or really impressive pull quotes, etc.

Here are a couple examples of how I've used them as a way to separate pieces of a project:

http://lancasteronline.com/features/special-coverage-lancaster-county-natives-residents-share-accounts-of-vietnam/article_e1f19cee-99a5-11e7-9a0b-3bb01dd01dae.html

http://lancasteronline.com/sports/football/highschool/l-l-league-high-school-football-breakdown-section-one-guide/article_92c330d2-8a8d-11e7-a0d3-e306ea552327.html

Those sample links look great Meagen!

Those look awesome. How often do you do those longform types of articles? I'd love for our daily publication to do those from time to time.

Thanks, Nick. Those projects were both pretty large. The Vietnam one took a couple days to design, and the football one is actually one of three, and those took a couple weeks because of all the preview stories that are linked in it. We usually do at least one long-form story a week, though, typically with major Sunday stories.

Did you get the fuller body copy look from just changing the CSS? I tried it on our website and the width isn't as wide is your site. I'll attach some screenshots and hopefully they'll make sense.

Our site...

Your site...

I'm assuming you just added some CSS to make it max-width: 100% but with BLOX there's also a good chance there's an option to do it with one click hidden somewhere I don't know about.

The Vietnam piece is not set to long-form, it's just a standard article with lots of extra features. That's why it's wider.

Oh, your site doesn't have a right-rail does it? That may be why the body is wider.

Nope, we don't. And a standard article with no presentation is, by defauly, wider than long-form. Long-form will really narrow your text and give you a lot of negative space.

Under review

These are awesome Meagen! Thank you for sharing!

Somewhat related to your idea... I have been struggling with the fact that the parallax photos don't show the caption or byline. I was going to add them on top of the photo, but then with some photos they could be hard to read, etc.

I think I was mostly leaning toward putting under the photo, much like full bleed. Do you guys agree?

I wonder if, with your idea, the subhead or text could be the caption? But again, you wouldn't want them to be always on top of the photo...

Or, maybe a pull quote could have a background image?

Hi Christine, happy to share! I like the idea of being able to set a background image on a pull quote, as long as we could have the presentation options when they get dropped into the story that a photo has. The headline background options in Cover Art would also be helpful so we could make sure the text was visible (text in a box or background box).

I agree that having them under the photo would be better than having them on top. I want them to be so blown away by the picture they see that they want to read the caption underneath.