Answered

Geotargeting doesn't seem to be accurate

Nick 7 years ago in BLOX CMS updated by Christine Masters 7 years ago 1

From time to time we have some national brands that want to advertise on our website. Many of those are only interested in certain zip codes. The problem is that I look up my IP online and some websites show I'm in the correct city but others show me in a different state entirely. BLOX seems to be the former in this instance and therefore I don't see the ads. This cuts out a lot of our ad impressions. I've even gone so far as to set a radius 100 miles from my zip code and still get nothing.

So is there anything that can be done to more accurately pinpoint where our users are located? Does anyone else ever experience this?

Answer

Answer
Answered

Hi Nick!

On the desktop, we use IP address and, as you have experienced, it is really sketchy. You may be going through a VPN and that will also make things really crazy. On mobile, we use the device location, which is a lot better.

That being said, if you are looking at doing more advanced advertising techniques, I would recommend Google DFP. We have built-in integration with it, and everything is relatively easy to set up. And they have a free version! :)

Answer
Answered

Hi Nick!

On the desktop, we use IP address and, as you have experienced, it is really sketchy. You may be going through a VPN and that will also make things really crazy. On mobile, we use the device location, which is a lot better.

That being said, if you are looking at doing more advanced advertising techniques, I would recommend Google DFP. We have built-in integration with it, and everything is relatively easy to set up. And they have a free version! :)